20140320 Mensa Singapore 25th Anniversary Flash Fiction Writing Competition – Rev B
In conjunction with the 25th Anniversary of Mensa Singapore’s founding, Mensa Singapore is organising a flash fiction writing competition for members. This competition hopes to celebrate this event through creative writing and in the process, create a body of work to commemorate this joyous occasion. Entries will be judged on their creativity, originality, flow and use of appropriate voice and tone, as well as awareness of, and impact on audience.
Rules and Regulations
1. This contest is open to all fully paid-up members of Mensa Singapore only, with the exception of the judges of this contest. Your membership must be valid for the duration of this entire contest, including the announcement of the prize-winners.
2. Entries should be on the theme of “Future Mind Mates”. How you interpret this theme is up to you.
3. Entries should be between 800-1500 words in length. Entries should be submitted to [email protected] by 4pm Singapore time on 15 May 2014. Proof of submission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. You will receive an automated acknowledgment receipt via email of your submission. Please keep a copy of this acknowledgment for your own records.
4. Entries should be typewritten and submitted as a SEPARATE attachment in Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx), Rich Text (.rtf) or Plain Text (.txt) format to the email address above by the deadline. Entries should be accompanied with a SECOND SEPARATE attachment document containing (a) your name; (b) your contact details (phone number and email address); (c) your Mensa Singapore membership number; (d) the total word count of your submission; (e) a short introduction of no more than 50 words on yourself. Please include your Mensa Singapore membership number at the END of the document containing your entry. Do NOT include your name anywhere on your main entry document.
5. Mensa Singapore reserves the right to use the information provided above for purposes related to this competition and for publication of your submission in accordance with Rule 11 below.
6. You may submit more than one entry. Each entry must be submitted separately and in accordance with the requirements detailed above.
7. Entries should be only in English, although reasonable use of other languages, real or imagined, is allowed if it is an intrinsic part of the story.
8. Only original, unpublished entries will be accepted. Entries must not have been submitted for any other writing contests prior to this, or published on any public platform.
9. Mensa Singapore reserves the right to disqualify entries that are found to have breached these rules, or that are found to be plagiarised or written by a person other than the Member to whom the entry is attributed. Entries that have been disqualified will not be entitled to receive any prize, and will not be published by Mensa Singapore. We reserve the right to remove from our website or any other publications an entry that has been found to have breached this rule. This right of disqualification may be exercised at any time, including before or after the prize-winners have been announced.
10. Entries will be judged anonymously. The judges reserve the right to award any and all prizes in whole or in part or not at all. The judges’ decision is final and not subject to appeal. Mensa Singapore is not obliged to provide a reason for the judges’ decision or feedback on your entry.
11. You retain all rights to your work, and may subsequently use the work for other purposes without informing Mensa Singapore.
12. By entering this contest, you grant Mensa Singapore the right to reproduce your entry in whole or in part, at any time, for any purpose and in any medium under royalty free terms. Your permission need not be acquired by Mensa Singapore for reproducing and/or publishing your entry in accordance with this rule. Any reproduction of your work will however, be properly attributed to you as per your submission details.
13. By entering this contest and submitting an entry, you confirm that you have read and acknowledged all the rules of this contest and will abide by these rules.
14. Mensa Singapore will not be held liable for any problem, loss or damage of whatsoever nature suffered by any party due to any delay and/or failure in the receipt and/or submission of entries to the competition. In the event of any such error, delay, damage and/or failure, Mensa Singapore shall not be held responsible or liable to any participant for the failure to participate in the competition at any time, or for any consequent loss arising from this failure.
15. Mensa Singapore reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to alter and/or amend these rules from time to time without notice.
Entries will be judged on four criteria with equal emphasis on each:
* · * Concept
· * Voice and Tone in Writing
· * Creative Writing
· * Organised and Cohesive Work
1st Prize: S$300 + 1 year’s free membership in Mensa Singapore
2nd Prize: S$200 + 1 year’s free membership in Mensa Singapore
3rd Prize: S$100 + 1 year’s free membership in Mensa Singapore
2 Consolation Prizes: 1 year’s free membership in Mensa Singapore
The prize winning + selected entries will be published in a special commemorative publication celebrating Mensa Singapore’s 25th Anniversary, as well as in Menews, and on the Mensa Singapore website. The prize winners will also receive a free copy of the commemorative publication when it is produced.